UtahWP Utah Valley

Late last year we transitioned WPSLC to UtahWP and refocused a little. Instead of just doing one meetup we branched out and started helping potential meetup leaders get something started in their area. Over the last few months we’ve been working with the organizers of the Utah Valley group, and on Thursday they’ll have their first meeting in Orem. In the first meeting the organizer, Velda, is covering the basics of WordPress.

I’m super excited about this first group starting, and hope to help launch a few more this year. If you are interested in starting a group in your area, or presenting at one of these meetings please get in touch and we’ll get working on it.

Lofty Lake Loop

On Saturday Kelly, the boys, and I went up to the High Uintas and hiked Lofty Lake Loop.  It was a lot harder hike than we expected it to be, but it was fun. Al hiked all the way to Kamas lake before we had to load him in the pack and carry Finn in our arms for the rest of the hike.

BEM Syntax with Sass

UPDATE: Updated before it’s even published, but last night I found out that with updates before Sass 3.3.0 you can now just us & in front of the last part of the selector and it will work the same as the @at-root directive. Code snippets below have been updated to use this method.

At Big Swing we’ve adopted the BEM naming methodology for all of our CSS, and Sass as our CSS pre-processor. The problem I was running into as we started writing Sass is that I wanted to take advantage of Sass’ nesting feature. With BEM one of the goals is to nest as little as possible, so I was writing code like this.

Luckily in Sass 3.3.0 they’ve added the @at-root directive which takes CSS rules that it’s in front of or wrapped around and moves them to the root of the stylesheet. Which allows me to write my scss with better context, and allows for easier changing of object names.

Tools

I have some snippets for Sublime Text below that allow you to generate your selectors more easily.

Finn Alden Kelsey

The ninnypants v 3.0 launch has successfully completed after 39 weeks and 4 days of development and a successful 20 hour deploy process. And while there were a few bugs in the deployment process everything is up and running as expected now.