Lofty Lake Loop

On Saturday Kelly, the boys, and I went up to the High Uintas and hiked Lofty Lake Loop.  It was a lot harder hike than we expected it to be, but it was fun. Al hiked all the way to Kamas lake before we had to load him in the pack and carry Finn in our arms for the rest of the hike.

Finn Alden Kelsey

The ninnypants v 3.0 launch has successfully completed after 39 weeks and 4 days of development and a successful 20 hour deploy process. And while there were a few bugs in the deployment process everything is up and running as expected now.

First Week with the Standing Desk

I’ve just finished the my first week with my Ikea  standing desk. Other than the expected leg fatigue it has been great.

The desk was simple enough to build I just followed the instructions shown in “A standing desk for $22.” I have one complaint about the setup but nothing major. I should have, and eventually will, bought a wider shelf for the keyboard surface than I did. With multiple monitors the smaller shelf pushes me more in front of one monitor which means I have to turn my head a lot more. The extra space would also be nice as a writing surface. Currently I have to lean up over my keyboard and write on the tables which will not hard is inconvenient.

Other than those things it’s been great. I’ve felt a lot more productive and have had a much easier time concentrating on tasks. I also haven’t had issues with coming back from lunch tired.


Sugar was a 1 ½ year-old boxer pit bull mix. I found her while taking my neighbors on a tour of the shelter. She had a litter of two-day-old puppies with her in the kennel. She’d had them in the shelter right before I picked her up.

It took a little convincing, but Kelly said we could bring them home. Sugar was an excellent mamma. We had to lure her out of the shelter with one of her puppies because she wouldn’t go anywhere until she was sure they were with her. When we got her home and were getting everything situated she crawled into the puppies box and laid right on top of them; because she was nervous about the other dogs being near them. For the first week we could barely get her away from her puppies long enough to go to the bathroom. She would go out and do her business then rush back to her puppies.

Once we had moved her puppies her personality started to show through a lot more. She would snuggle on the couch with Ireland, the little girl who Kelly babysits. She would also get really excited for our morning walks. She would run around the front room, jump into the air, spin in circles and bounce in and out of play bows.

CAWS took Sugar in after we moved her puppies, and she was adopted by a nice young couple. She seemed very happy the last time we saw her.

The Puppies

Sugar’s puppies were the hardest group of puppies we’ve done so far. I attribute the difficulty to the fact that we took them during the winter, and weren’t well equipped to do so. When we took on Mia’s puppies it was the middle of the summer, so we were able to keep them outside most of the time. We weren’t quite so lucky with this group since we got them at the beginning of December. They stayed in a crate at the foot of our bed until they were big enough to walk around. Once they reached that point we moved them to a fenced in area in the laundry room.

Things didn’t get too bad until they were about 8-weeks-old then things started getting out of hand. They made such a mess of their run that it had to be cleaned everyday if not twice daily, and that didn’t even take care of the smell. It was extremely hard to keep them clean as well. We would take them out clean the cage, and give them baths, but as soon as we put them back they would poop everywhere and get it all over themselves. They also couldn’t go outside without freezing, so they ended up with a lot of pent-up energy. Any time you would walk by they would cry and jump up on the fence.

We were finally able to move them to Furburbia which was better equipped to handle them once they were 12-weeks-old. They still managed to make a good sized mess once there though. We drove them up to Furburbia, and right as we got there one of them puked all over in their crate. We took them in and bathed them, and as soon as they were clean and in the kennels they pooped everywhere, and got it all over themselves. We ended up bathing them twice.

I’m sure they’ve since been adopted, but we couldn’t keep a very close watch on them.

Lucy and Duo

Lucy and Duo were 8-week-old blue heeler puppies that we took from Kelly’s sisters house, and fostered through Wag-n-Train Dog Rescue. They were fun, but we didn’t have them for long they were adopted out at the Mini Super Adoption during December.


Oakley is a 2-year-old pit bull mix. She was originally brought into CAWS as a puppy, but two years later she turned up in the shelter again. I actually pulled her from the shelter for another foster home, but they fell through and I ended up with her.

Oakley had a great personality. She loved to chase her tail and would do it any where she thought there was space. Which to her was everywhere. We ended up moving her out after about a month to make room for a mom and puppies. She’s been adopted out since then.


Nala is a 2-year-old Chocolate Retriever. I originally met Nala in one of the training classes that I attended with Ozzy. She was very afraid of other dogs and protective of her owner if strange dogs were nearby. In the end that’s what caused her to be given up. She kept starting fights with the mother-in-law’s shih tzu, and they couldn’t find a way to stop her.  Though the term given up is putting it very simply. She wasn’t accepted into CAWS because we were full and not taking owner turn overs. We refered her owners to another person that felt they were qualified to take care of her. About a week after taking her that person dropped her off at an adoption event and didn’t come back for her. She ended up going home with a very kind-hearted lady named Margo. Nala was very fearful of any dog she didn’t know, and eventually ended up biting Margo when she got between Nala and one of her labs. After that Margo asked me to take her. So I ended up with Nala right after she’d gone through four homes in a little over a week.

Nala did quite well with my dogs. There were a few spats, but after the first week things calmed down for the most part. She did very poorly with dogs from outside of our household though. She had decided I was her new owner, and that she needed to protect me from other dogs. She attacked a few dogs that approached me when I wasn’t expecting her to be nearby. After a few weeks I was finally able to let her socialize with other dogs without issue.

She still kept her fear of dogs in enclosed spaces, and seemed to have a habit of putting herself in tight spots. She would wedge herself into small spaces or corner herself then growl at the other dogs when they came near. We would have to show her that she could remove herself from these situations. Though she never seemed to pick it up on her own.

We eventually got her accepted into the Wag-n-Train rescue. She was eventually adopted by one of their fosters that took care of her while I was at a conference in Vegas. She is doing really well as an only dog in their home. She’s even getting along with the cats. One of  her new owners is a veteran, and she is really helping in his day-to-day life.


Boozer is a 1 ½ year old American Bulldog Labrador Retriever mix, I think.  CAWS took him in at the spring 2010 super adoption. I don’t know much of what happened to him between the time CAWS took him in and he came to my house. I know he was adopted out, but  ended up in the shelter again because he was confiscated by animal control. His adoptors were treating him so badly that their neighbors called animal control, who confiscated him. From what I heard they were leaving him tied up in the yard during the day with no food or water, but I can’t be sure of exactly what happened.

Boozer did pretty well when he first came to us. He was good with other dogs. He did try to tell Ozzy he was the boss once but only for about 2 seconds before he changed his mind, and the attempt left him with some funny lines across the top of his head for a while. He did really well in the house too. The one issue he did have though was a chewing problem which lead to the destruction of one of my hand made blankets. 3 times… I know that was probably my fault, but I like to give the dogs chances to prove themselves once they appear to have themselves under control. So I ended up leaving the bedroom door open more often than I should have.

On October 19th of 2010 Boozer took off while I was taking the dogs to the back yard for a potty break. I jumped in the car to try to catch up before he got far. I got about a block down the road when he came running back up the sidewalk. I opened the car door for him and he climbed in. He had a little trouble getting in the car, but I didn’t think any thing of it until I got him back home and noticed the blood on my seat cover. I got him out of the car and found a cut on his front right ankle. It was somewhat deep but I figured he just cut himself on a peice of wire or somthing, and wasn’t too worried until I got a look at his left side. He’d run down to one of the main roads, and had gotten hit by a car!  He had roadrash and several deep cuts all up his left hind leg.

I put him back in the car right away, and headed to one of CAWS’ vets in Salt Lake. It took me almost an hour and a half to get him to the vet. The car had been most of the way empty so I had to stop for gas and it was rush hour.

Once we got the vet they got him right into the back and started looking at him. I sat in one of the exam rooms for about half an hour, before they came and sent me to get dinner while I wated for x-rays. The x-rays showed that he’d probably been drug under the car for a little ways, and it had dislocated his right hind leg. He had to stay at the vets over night so that he could have the leg put back into place in the morning.

Kelly and I headed up early the next morning, and Boozer was super excited to see us. His hip had been splinted into place, he had a bunch of staples in his legs, and he had to wear a cone. He also had to stay in a crate for two weeks, and could only come out to go to the bathroom. We were trying to keep the leg in place, if it came out he would have to have surgery on his hip. He did pretty well on his two week stint in the crate, but to no avail the hip had popped out of place. He got the staples out when we took him in to check on the hip, but he had to continue wearing the cone. The poor guy spent over two months in that cone.

Boozer had to wait quite a while for his surger but finally had it on January 10th. They went in and cut the ball off his feemer so that the leg would sit in place better. He had to spend the night at the vets that night too. He’s done really well since the surgery. He runs and plays with the other dogs and even goes to class.

Kelly has also aided him in learning the habbit of trying to sleep under the covers. You can’t lift the edge of the covers without him trying to shove his head in, so he can snuggle down to the bottom of the bed.


Jack is a 4-year-old German Shepard. He is fully papered, well-trained, and the first dog rescue I did out-of-pocket instead of working with a rescue. I met him in the shelter when I went to check on Ruby. His family surrendered for being “too big.” You could tell just from looking at him that his world had been destroyed. He wasn’t eating, and just sat at the back of his kennel and shook. I tried contacting several rescues, with no luck, to see if they would allow me to take him. After a little while I worked something out with the women at the shelter, and brought him home.

When I was picking him up from the shelter he huddled in the back of his kennel shaking, and growling at me. I was afraid he might try to bite me, but once he realized I was there to take him out he calmed down. He was really good on a leash so when I took him out to my car I didn’t keep a tight hold on his lead. As I was trying to unlock my car he gave a tug on the leash and escaped. That lead to a chase involving inmates police officers and shelter workers. After about 30 – 45 minutes he gave up and ran back into the shelter. I loaded him into the car and we were on our way.

After I got him home it became apparent that he had some health issues. His former family hadn’t trimmed his nails or gotten him enough exercise. It cause him to adjust how he walked giving him a very obvious limp. His testicles were infected, and he was under weight. The great people at the NMHPU Spay Neuter Clinic provided me with antibiotics, and trimmed his nails back to a normal length while he was under anesthesia since the quick on all of them needed to be cut. After having all this done Jack was a completely different dog. His limp subsided and he started to walk correctly on his feet again. He also started to play frisbee.

Soon after Jack was adopted by a family, and his presence help them a lot. After about a month I got a call from his family saying their land lord was going to charge them a $1,000 fee to keep Jack in their apartment, so they had to give him back. He was back for one day when they couldn’t handle being without him any more. In that one day they had managed to get their doctor to register Jack as a companion dog. Allowing them to avoid the fees from their land lord.

Jack was one of my most favorite fosters, and I nearly kept him when he came back. He’s with a really great family now, and may be moving back east where he’ll have a large yard.

Scooter Bug

Scooter Bug was one of the litter of puppies I rescued from the South Utah Valley Animal Shelter. Once I got him home it was apparent that he wasn’t in the best shape. The front of one of his toes was shaved off at some point and the bone was sticking out. I got him into the NMHPU Orem Clinic the next day; they were kind enough to take care of the toe and gave me some antibiotics for it, but things weren’t looking good for him. He was still sickly and not very active. I kept him with me most of the time, but one night he’d been vomiting, so I didn’t let him sleep in the bed. The next morning I went to check on him, and he had passed away. Later that day my wife and I buried him at my family farm.